U.S. Army Medical Command Operating Room Nursing Assistant in Tacoma, Washington
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
This position is being filled under the Expedited Hiring Authority for Shortage Category and/or Critical Need Health Care Occupations.
About the Position:
This position is located at Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA.
Tacoma is a progressive city of 200,000 nestled between Seattle and the state capital of Olympia, offering the attractions of larger metropolitan areas with a hometown feel. Tacoma is located 32 miles south of Seattle, 31 miles north of our state capital, Olympia, and 18 miles south of Sea-Tac International Airport, on the shores of Commencement Bay, within pristine eyesight of Mount Rainier. World-class museums, hotels and theaters draw thousands to downtown Tacoma while the shores of the Puget Sound and Mount Rainier inspire outdoor enthusiasts. Enjoy the mild climate and its excellent schools, universities, parks, festivals and regional shopping centers.
On January 1, 2013, Madigan Healthcare System became a tobacco free campus. This includes all tobacco products and electronic nicotine delivery devices such as "e-cigarettes." As part of this new policy and Madigan's commitment to employees and their health, newly hired staff may take advantage of one free tobacco cessation class.
Certified Surgical Technician Preferred
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
As an Operating Room Nursing Assistant, you will perform duties such as:
- Provide support for surgical procedures ranging from routine ( e.g., appendectomy, myringotomy, herniorrhaphy) to complex, to high risk (e.g., thoracic, cardiovascular, orthopedics, obstetric, general surgery laparoscopic assisted procedures, etc.) or trauma cases (multi-system involvement due to vehicular accidents, gunshots, knife wounds, ligament and nerve reconstruction, bowel resections, joint replacements and multiple bone fractures.
- Maintain aseptic procedures during preparation for, and assistance with, surgical procedures.
- Select, assemble and organize supplies, equipment and instruments for specific surgical procedures in accordance with operative work sheets, physician preference card and/or conferring with physicians and/or charge nurse.
- Clean, process and sterilize instruments and equipment used during surgical procedures, using various types of sterilizers and sterilizing agents.
- Transport patients from hospital units to the operating room assuring safe transportation of the patient.
- Orient and train newly assigned personnel, students, and reservists.
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- A recruitment or relocation bonus may be authorized.
- May include shift work or rotating shifts (evenings, weekends, holidays).
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: providing surgical technician assistance inside the operating room to members of the surgical team (e.g. surgeon, anesthetist, or registered nurse); preparing an operating room for surgical procedures, such as setting up surgical equipment, supplies, and/or solutions; maintaining aseptic technique throughout surgical procedures. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05). Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below: Education substitution for Specialized Experience for GS-06: Successful completion of at least one half year (9 semester hours) of graduate-level education progressing toward a master's or higher degree that is directly related to the work of the position. Combination of Experience and Education Substitution for Specialized Experience for GS-06: If you have some, but not all, of the experience or education described above, you may still qualify by combining the amount of creditable experience and education that you possess. To compute the percentage, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education by 9. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100% to qualify.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package. Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Personnel Security Investigation required.
- A Childcare Background Check (CNACI) is required. This position has a specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties require contact with children.
- This position is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected for appointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing. A job offer to an applicant who is a not a current employee will be withdrawn if the applicant refuses to be tested. Applicants with verified positive test results shall be refused employment. Applications from such individuals shall not be considered for employment for a period of 6 months from the date of the test results.
- A pre-placement medical examination is required.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- All Health Care Providers must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) Training and certification that is sponsored or endorsed by the American Heart Association (AHA). Current Advanced Life Support or other advanced certification does not supersede BLS completion.
- Position is designated as Inclement Weather Essential. The incumbent must make every attempt to report for work on time and/or remain on duty during severe weather conditions.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 53 position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476565800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-10 to 2017-08-21
Salary: $43,489 to $53,037 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 06
Series: 0621 Nursing Assistant
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: NCMD171289281997872EM
Control number: 476565800