Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse (HBPC) in Staunton, Virginia
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1995532
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
*This position is located at the Staunton Community Based Outpatient Clinic
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
The VA Medical Center of Salem, Virginia is located adjacent to Roanoke which has natural beauty and many summit features such as the Roanoke Star and its overlook of the Roanoke Valley, the Mill Mountain Zoo, and many outdoor pursuits such as the Appalachian Trail and Blue Ridge Parkway which run through this area.
Note: Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and step of the applicant selected.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Position: Registered Nurse (HBPC) Work Schedule: *Monday through Friday - 7:45 am to 4:30 pm) *Functional Statement Title/#:* *Home Based Primary Care Case Manager
- Responsible and accountable for the provision of direct patient care and for the delivery of quality nursing care to a culturally diverse Veteran population
- Provides direct patient care in the Veteran's home
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates nursing care needs of assigned caseload
- Ensures a continuum of care by interfacing with all services involved in the care of HBPC patients including acute care, GECU and outpatient specialty services
- Assesses psychosocial, spiritual, dietary, and functional needs of patient and makes appropriate referrals to VA or community resources
- Initiates all HBPC admission/discharge forms, documents in patient progress notes, develops and writes treatment care plans
- 75% or Greater
- This is a Home Based Primary Care position requiring visits to Veteran's homes.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
US Citizens and Status Candidates
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. *Grade Determinations: * The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
*Education/Experience Requirements/Preferred Experience: *RN with two or more years of recent experience in Home Health.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. RN with two or more years of recent experience on an Long Term Care Unit or Medical-Surgical Unit.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Lifting/carrying - 45 lbs or more, Standing, Sitting, Walking, Kneeling, Bending/Stooping, Twisting, Pushing/pulling, Both legs required, Simple grasping, Use of fingers, Both hands required, Fine manipulation (includes keyboarding), Reaching above shoulders, Near vision correctable at 13-16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, Far vision correction in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other eye, Ability to distinguish basic colors, Ability to distinguish shades of colors, Hearing whispered voice (with or without aid), Emotional/mental stability, Walking on slippery or uneven walking surfaces, Working with hands in water, Working closely with others, Protracted or irregular hours of work.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed and assigned an initial rating.
We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476075400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-04 to 2017-08-17
Salary: $48,875 to $98,750 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 00
Series: 0610 Nurse
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: VHA-658-17-MJ1995532-BU
Control number: 476075400