Rutgers University UCHC Staff Nurse- Youth Correctional in New Brunswick, New Jersey
University Correctional Health Care (UCHC), operating within Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is dedicated to excellence in providing physical, mental health, dental and sex offender treatment services to those involved in the criminal and juvenile justice systems in New Jersey. UCHC operates with a total budget of $150 million and approximately 1,100 staff serving roughly 20,500 inmates in twelve adult correctional facilities, 400 residents in fourteen JJC locations, and 1,000 individuals in ten state parole board offices. We are committed to being a leader in the delivery of effective, compassionate and accessible care informed by research within correctional environments.
We Care. We Teach. We Heal. We Improve.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University Correctional Health Care is seeking a Staff Nurse for the Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility, which is located in Annandale, New Jersey.
The Staff Nurse utilizes the nursing process to meet a variety of health care needs with ambulatory care as a primary focus.
- Works with a variety of health care professionals and security officers in a correctional environment.
- Functions are guided by nursing protocols. Functions as a team leader.
- Demonstrates competency in assessment and identification of the physical health of adolescents (13-17 years), adults (18 to 64 years), and geriatrics (64 years and older), all population groups and their personal strengths.
- Identifies inmate-centered goals and nursing objectives and implements prescribed interventions and solutions for the identified problems.
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
- Bachelor’s of Nursing (BSN) or its equivalent.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in a correctional setting.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Computer literacy, typing, ability to work at varying computer workstations provided by the Department of Corrections in shared office environments, ability to speak clearly and write proficiently is essential, extensive reading required, extended sitting is required, ability to move from unit to unit within correctional facilities, frequently walks, bends, stretches, pushes and pulls, intermittent physical exertion when performing job activities, manual dexterity and mobility for charting, lifting of up to 50 pounds, hearing and sight are essential, ability to speak clearly is required, may be required to travel within the state, ability to implement Universal Precautions and Safety Precautions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: A generally crisis oriented, secure environment working with adults, some who exhibit aggressive, threatening and assaultive behaviors. Handle emergency and crisis situations. Nurse must exhibit flexibility to work in a variety of settings. May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases. Possibility of cuts, burns, bruises, strains. Subject to varying and unpredictable situations. Entering and movement within the facility will be controlled by Correctional Officers.
- Must be approved by the Department of Corrections (DOC) and adhere to all DOC requirements. Employees will be subject to and must comply with all security regulations and procedures of NJ Department of Corrections and the assigned facility(ies) including, but not limited to sign in logs or electronic time clocks, searches of person and property, etc. Violations of NJ Department of Corrections and/or being banned by the Department of Corrections to work at a NJ Department of Corrections’ facility are grounds for a disciplinary action and potential termination. Part-time-20 hours per week
Recruitment/Posting Title: UCHC Staff Nurse- Youth Correctional
Job Category: Staff & Executive - Medical (Clinical) - Nursing
Department: UCHC-Ph-Mountainview Yth Corr
Position Status: Part Time
Hours Per Week: 20 hours per week
Position Salary: Min: $26.60-Mid: $33.52-Max: $37.24
Annual Minimum Salary: 26.600
Annual Mid Range Salary: 34.050
Annual Maximum Salary: 37.240
Standard Hours: 40.00
Union Description: HPAE, Local 5135
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Terms of Appointment: Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
Minimum Education and Experience: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing with a license to practice in the State of New Jersey.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: CPR Certification. Computer literacy. Valid Driver’s License.
Posting Number: 17ST3285
Regional Campus: Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)
Home Location Campus: Off Campus
Location Details: Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility, located in Annandale, NJ