U.S. Army Medical Command Nurse (Clinical/Perioperative Expanded Function) in Fort Bliss, Texas
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:This position is located at William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Operative Services, Operating Room, Fort Bliss, TX. This position may require heavy lifting up to 40lbs.
Fort Bliss/El Paso, TX: El Paso is a jewel in the desert. Nestled between the rugged Franklin Mountains and the historic Rio Grande, this dynamic border community combines the advantages of a major metropolitan center with the ambience and neighborly charm of a modern western town. Just outside Fort Bliss' gates is "Sun City", the 19th largest city and one of the safest cities for one its size in the United States. The sun shines in El Paso approximately 302 days per year, earning it the nickname "Sun City." El Paso is a thriving big city of more than 800,000, with a great history and a tremendous spirit. From nature to culture to nightlife to shopping, there is something for everyone in El Paso. A true melting pot of American and southwestern culture, the combination is noticeable everywhere. William Beaumont Army Medical Center (WBAMC) has provided care for military personnel and their eligible family members since 1921. WBAMC is one of two trauma centers in El Paso County and provides trauma care to the surrounding community and a full range of medical care to Fort Bliss, which supports over 19,000 troops and will grow to over 37,000 as it undergoes the largest post expansion in the Army.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
As a Nurse (Clinical/Perioperative Expanded Function), you will:
- Provide specialized perioperative care to patients undergoing procedures ranging from highly complex, high acuity surgeries.
- Collaborate with surgeon and other health care team members to achieve optimal patient outcomes working intraoperatively at the direction of the surgeon.
- Perform First Assist duties by using instruments and medical devices required for the specific surgery, providing surgical site exposure, handling and/or cutting tissue, providing hemostasis, suturing, and wound management.
- Label, handle and assure proper disposition of surgical specimens.
- Monitors numerous and complex equipment such as lasers, computerized monitoring devices, stereotactic equipment, cardiac monitor, ultra sonic tumor aspirator, etc.
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- This is a Direct Hire Solicitation.
- May include shift work or rotating shifts (evenings, weekends, holidays).
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Nurse (Clinical/Perioperative Expanded Function):
- Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed.
- Registration: Active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse. In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
- Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Experience is defined as: providing comprehensive care to surgery patients, such as pre-, intra-, and post-operative care, completing preoperative patient assessments, and educating patients. This definition of experience is typical of work performed at the next grade/level position in the federal service GS-10) OR Education: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly related to the position. OR Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) beyond the second year (total graduate semester hours minus 36) by 18. Add the two percentages.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package. Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Personnel Security Investigation required.
- This position is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected for appointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing. A job offer to an applicant who is a not a current employee will be withdrawn if the applicant refuses to be tested. Applicants with verified positive test results shall be refused employment. Applications from such individuals shall not be considered for employment for a period of 6 months from the date of the test results.
- A pre-placement medical examination is required.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- All Health Care Providers must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) Training and certification that is sponsored or endorsed by the American Heart Association (AHA). Current Advanced Life Support or other advanced certification does not supersede BLS completion.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- A Childcare Background Check (CNACI) is required. This position has a specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties require contact with children.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 53 position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476477100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-10 to 2017-08-16
Salary: $69,188 to $87,868 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 11
Series: 0610 Nurse
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: NCMD172158871996990HM
Control number: 476477100