Mercy Medical Center Clinton Registered Nurse - Psychiatric Crisis - D2721 in Darby, Pennsylvania
2001_2721 CrisIS Response Center
Expected Weekly Hours:
• The Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the delivery of patient care. The professional nurse assumes the responsibility and accountability for the delegation of patient care to other members of the healthcare team.
Job Description Details:
Well-Coordinated Patient Care
• Prioritizes and organizes work assignment and adjusts priorities based on changing situations.
• Completes work within a predetermined time frame.
• Acts as a patient advocate and upholds patient’s rights.
• Promotes and maintains a safe, clean and orderly environment.
• Consults and refers to other Health Care professionals.
• Refers ethical concerns to appropriate resources.
• Delegates work to the care team as per State Board, job description and skill level
• Interacts professionally and communicates effectively with patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
• Plans delivery of care according to medical plan, patient acuity and staff competencies
• Anticipates potential length of stay or discharge problems.
• Is knowledgeable of Admission/Discharge criteria for the unit; and assists with timely patient bed assignment and discharge.
• Cooperates with all areas in the admission and transfer of patients throughout the hospital to ensure efficiency.
• Assists in promoting and enforcing the coordination of patient care.
• Keeps physicians informed of patient condition.
• Receives patients from other units in a timely manner.
• Verbal orders and “Read backs” are performed according to policy.
• Completes all work within assigned time frame.
• Collaborates with the interdisciplinary care team, including but not limited to; care coordinator, social work, physician and Clinical Operations Leader, to keep them informed of patient status.
• 100% compliant with verbal order, “read back” policy
• 100% compliant critical test result policy and documents appropriately in the EMR
• Assesses learning needs, readiness to learn, and actual or potential barriers to learning.
• Integrates primary and secondary diagnosis into the educational plan.
• Incorporates education into patient activity, (i.e., medication, equipment, food-drug interactions).
• Individualizes educational plan based on age, cultural and spiritual values.
• Ensures that appropriate patient education is provided to meet individual/ family needs.
• Documents patient education in process plans section in EHR.
• Individualizes patient educational plan and includes the family and/or significant others as appropriate.
• Documents 100% patient specific education appropriately in the EMR
• Utilizes teach back methodology 100% of the patient education encounters.
Psychiatric Nursing Skills
• Provides care for the Psychiatric patient
• Manages care of:
• Application of crisis intervention theory
• De-escalation and re-direction techniques
• Identifies Safety Hazards in the milieu
• Unit safety search, documentation and management of sharps
• Enforces safety regulations and initiates corrective action for safety issues
• Limit setting and redirection of patients’ behavior
• Maintains appropriate boundaries
• Multidisciplinary Treatment Team participant
• Establishes a psychiatric nursing diagnosis
• Leads Therapeutic or Medication Education Group
• Understands and utilizes family and community support system
• Participates in writing a Team Treatment Plan
• Accurately assesses:
Suicide risk factors
Homicide risk factors
Potential for violence
Sign of drug and alcohol abuse and acute intoxication
• Demonstrates appropriate skill for area of practice.
• Understands psychological response to disasters or trauma
• Conducts telephone triage
• Arranges and coordinates inpatient admissions
• Arranges and coordinates outpatient referrals and pre-certifications
• Provides guidance for 302 petitioners
• Participates in insurance verifications
• Coordinates patient referrals and transfers to and from other agencies
• Interacts with police and emergency personnel
• Completes computerized registration of patients
• Interacts with county delegate to present 302 involuntary commitment petitions
• Demonstrates appropriate skills for area of practice
BSN or BS/BA degree in Nursing
Current RN Pennsylvania state license required.
Current BCLS required or obtained by completion of orientation.
ACLS required or obtained by completion of orientation if Applicable to Area of Practice.
Professional certifications preferred.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Candidate must be organized and able to lead and manage a team.
Demonstrates ability to use problem solving, critical thinking and priority setting skills.
Ability to perform diversified duties with time limitations with a high degree of accuracy.
Computer skills preferred.
Prior clinical experience preferred
This is a 0.4 FTE evening shift, weekends PRN w rotation position.
Trinity Health's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health employs more than 120,000 colleagues at dozens of hospitals and hundreds of health centers in 21 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Trinity Health's dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.
Trinity Health offers rewarding careers in a community environment with all the advantages of working at one of the nation's largest health systems. We provide high-quality, people-centered care in 22 states through our network of hospitals, facilities, community-based services, and continuing care locations - including home care, hospice, Program of All Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE), and senior living facilities. If you are looking for a rewarding clinical or administrative position, you'll find exceptional career possibilities, opportunities for advancement and a job with meaning at Trinity Health.
Trinity Health employs more than 131,000 colleagues across 22 states. We honor and embrace a diverse representation of people, ideas and backgrounds. Our dedication to diversity is evident in our commitment to training, education, recruitment, retention and development, as well as community partnerships and supplier diversity.
Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences and health practices of the communities we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive outcomes. We recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world, and that our differences not only serve to unite us, but also lead to innovative solutions.