Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Cancer Care Nurse Coordinator in Columbia, South Carolina
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1987935
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans
This is an open continuous announcement. We accept applications for this occupation on an ongoing basis; qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies become available. Applicants will be referred to selecting official on a continual basis until all vacancies are filled OR until the closing date of this announcement. Applicants need not re-apply once the application is referred to the selecting official.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn VA Medical Center is actively recruiting Cancer Care Nurse Coordinator (CCNC) for the Acute Medicine Specialty Clinic. He/she serves as a coordinator of clinical care ensuring timely access and seamless coordination of services throughout the continuum of cancer care. The CCNC meets with veterans and their families at early suspicion to provide a comprehensive plan of care to identify and resolve any barriers to diagnosis and to provide detailed patient education and teaching on upcoming diagnostics necessary to obtain a diagnosis. The CCNC facilitates expeditious scheduling and coordination of follow-up care. The CCNC will be the patient resource for education on diagnosis and treatment selected by the veteran and their Provider. The CCNC will assist the patient's transition into Survivorship and/or end stage disease, if necessary. The CCNC will work in close collaboration with specialty Providers in the development of site specific protocols/pathways and possible barriers that may affect treatment outcomes. He/she will have the ability to make appropriate assessments and referrals as needed to meet the unique needs of the veteran population. The CCNCs are active participants in the Cancer Committee and Cancer Conferences (tumor boards). The CCNC will maintain quality assurance tracking tools that monitor the timeliness of patient care. He/she must be poised and articulate in communicating with people of varied educational levels and varied ethnic backgrounds. The Cancer Care Nurse Coordinator ensures that the highest possible quality of care is achieved and that a safe therapeutic environment is provided. He/she is administratively responsible to the Nurse Manager and responsible for other team members, i.e. RN, LPN, NA. Performs other related duties as required by Nurse Manager.
Work Schedule:Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. with flexible hours.
Functional Statement Title/#:Registered Nurse 544-01161-0
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- ### Qualifications
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
*Grade Determinations: *The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
*Preferred Experience and Education: *MSN or BSN with recent (2+ years) of direct Care Management of Oncology patient or Complex Catastrophic Case Management. Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) or Commissioned on Case Management Certification (CCMC)
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Repeated bending (up to 2 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Hearing (aid permitted).
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474566400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-01 to 2017-12-01
Salary: $50,886 to $96,278 / per year
Pay scale & grade: VN 00
Series: 0610 Nurse
Appointment type: Excepted Service Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: OE-17-KLS-1987935-BU
Control number: 474566400